Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ruthless

Post-Peru I have a new ferver to purge my life! This new desire to get rid of things may very well be a result of living in poverty for a bit and realizing how much I don't need, mixed with good timing (a sense of starting a new, in this new land they call "America"! Dun dun DUUUN). The important thing is not to stall to reflect, just toss. 

It has spilt over to cyber purging in the form of Facebook de-friending. Yes, de-friending. It occurred to me just how very odd it was that 722 people are (well, were) able to flip through each and every photo of Peru- a trip that was very personal - without knowing a thing about it. Or for that matter, me. It seemed a kind of exploitation in a way. They can extract those pictures and move on, without a second thought to the people in them or their hearts. So I started getting rid of friends. Rule #1: If we haven't talked in 4 years, you're out. Rule #2: I've learned the skill of Peruvian bluntness and will use it. For example, the other day I was clicking through some guy's photos trying to figure out who he was and I honestly found myself saying "Ya...I do recognize you and know what, dude, I've never liked your smile." De-friended. When considering whether or not to keep an acquaintance from college I thought "You spell Catie with a 'C'. That's very smug of you." De-friended.

The kicker is that I fully knew what I was doing and I did it anyway. Yes, you got axed because of something you can't control (smile, name spelling). Next time, fix it if you want to be spared.

The goal is 303. So far I've knocked it down to 589. Welcome home, baby.

3 comments:

  1. This makes me want to do the same :). I have to be honest; though, I immediately checked to see if I had made the cut so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but my sister spells her name with a "c". Not her fault, it's the way my mom named her.

    you've got some splainin to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alzbeta- haha don't worry, you're safe

    Other Guy- ya, but don't worry, she's safe cuz "Cate" is classy (and admittedly short for Catherine, a legitimate way to spell that name) and she's cute. AND I don't need a reason to get rid of her...in fact, I need a reason for her to stay. Now the double "ee" some of your sisters seem to have...good thing they're also cute and have the same last name as you.

    ReplyDelete