Friday, November 12, 2010

Ah, Children

Children say the darndest things in Spanish.

Mercedes, age 6 (big brown eyes and always giggling), for her homework one day had to write 10 sentences. They could be about whatever she wanted, the only stipulation was that they had to be sentences. Here were the first 3:
"Fernando está en la calle." --- Fernando is in the street.
"Mi familia es feliz." --- My family is happy.
"Mi muñeca es fea." ---- My doll is ugly.

A few days later she told Kelly "Me gusta aprender. Si no te gusta, tu eres una vaca." --- I love to learn. If you don´t like to learn, you´re a cow.

Lizeth, age 10, while watch a volleyball game on tv (note that the Sisters wear full habits that are grey and blue), asked Sister Jesus "Sister, can you please move? I can´t see because your hair is in the way."

They also say the sweetest things.

Indira, age 14, while walking by me to put a dish in the cubbard asked me "me quieres?" ---- Do you love me?

Angeliaca, age 11, was in bed one night and stopped me as I walked by to whisper "sueña conmigo" --- which doesn´t translate well but is honestly one of the most beautiful phrases I´ve ever heard. It means something along the lines of "dream of me" or "take me with you into your dreams".

No comments:

Post a Comment