So there I found myself on a Tuesday afternoon pushing a stroller though a winding dirt path, dodging graves and listening to the musings of a 6 year old. David, the kid I occasionally nanny for, wanted to take this route home from the corner store where we had recently enjoyed juice and "healthy snacks" (string cheese counts as dairy, right?). His baby sister had no objections, so strolling though the cemetery we went. An assortment of very old graves surrounded by a rusting rod iron fence just sort of pop out of nowhere, snuggled into a quiet neighborhood at the foot of the mountains.
Initially it was a bit odd to be accompanied by young life among the dead. Then it felt natural.
Those who's bodies are now in the ground have had their time to live. Now it's our's. It was an important reminder that whatever big problem you face today will pass with time and be forgotten- rent payment, new shoes, toothache, heart ache, moving out, moving in- the only thing that will matter is how you deal with them and how you treat other people. Now is our time to make decisions. This time will come to an end. Those decisions will determine where YOU will spend eternity.
As I walked I glanced at names and tried to do quick math with dates. Names and dates tell very little of someone's life. I know practically nothing of them but I very much hope that whoever they were, they chose to love.
No comments:
Post a Comment